TDB Fitness Newsletter 6/20/2021
It’s summer and we love to work out outside. Although many of us love a nice tan, the summer sun can do irreparable damage to our skin. Since our skin is our largest organ, we think ‘fitness’ should include skincare too!
Tip of the week:
Wear your sunscreen
The older — and perhaps the more tattoos — I get, the more conscious I become about putting on sunscreen.
I remember being a kid, loving the itchy tight feeling of the summer sun as it turned my skin slightly brown. Rolling my eyes, fighting with my mom when she would make me come in from playing, or out of the water, to reapply sunscreen. Sun burns just didn’t bother me. I rarely got them (duh – my mom made me wear sunscreen). And even if I did, they weren’t that bad; they turned to tan eventually (once again, because I had sunscreen on).
Well, I turned 30 this year. My prefrontal cortex has fully developed, and I’m starting to fully appreciate the purpose of all my mom’s rules that kept me safe. And habits around keeping my skin safe from the sun have become sacred to me.
Vinnie and I had our first outdoor workout on Saturday, June 19th. We love working out outside. We love going to the beach. We love the sunshine. We also want to support the holistic health and wellness of our Teammates! Therefore, this week’s trainer’s tips includes important guidance for keeping your skin safe this summer:
Sun Safety Guide:
- Everyone needs to wear sunscreen. If you have skin, you can get skin cancer. Wear sunscreen.
- Choose the right sunscreen. Use a water- resistant, broad-spectrum sunscreen, with SPF 30 or higher for the best protection.
- Apply often enough. Apply sunscreen to dry skin 15 minutes before going outside, then every two hours from there. Reapply after you go swimming or engage in activity that makes you sweat.
- Apply enough sunscreen. Make sure you apply sunscreen to all skin that isn’t covered by clothing. Don’t forget to include easy-to-forget places like the tops of your feet, the backs of your ears, and on your scalp/at your part. Use SPF lip balm to protect your lips.
- Take breaks in the shade whenever possible. Less sun exposure means less of a chance of sun damage.
- Upgrade old sunscreen. If you’ve had your sunscreen long enough for it to change color or consistency, throw it out and buy new stuff.
- Wear it all year. Any time you expose your skin to the sun, it can do damage!
- Read more at the American Academy of Dermatology
Food for Thought:
Summer Salad Recipe
- romaine lettuce
- half carton strawberries
- one apple (choose your favorite)
- one mini cucumber
- 4 oz goats cheese
- dried fruit and nut mix (we used: Salad Topper Summer Symphony by Modern Mill)
- creamy balsamic dressing to taste (we used: Brianna’s Home Style New American Creamy Balsamic Dressing)
- balsamic glaze to taste (we used: Kroger Brand Private Selection Glaze with Balsamic Vinegar)
We buy the pre-washed, pre-chopped romaine and fill two bowls to desired level.
Wash and chop the strawberries, apple, and cucumber to desired size. Add to lettuce
Add remaining ingredients. Toss.
Feeds 2 Adults.
Last Week in our Community
Thank you so much to everyone who attended our Thursday Happy Hour workout, Saturday outdoor workout, or both! We love opportunities to spend time with our teammates, and we’re looking forward to many more.
Happy Father’s Day!
We thank all the dads out there for their love and support. Enjoy your day!
How have you been doing? Do you feel like you’re progressing towards those SMART goals you set back in March? What more can the Team do for you to help you reach your goals? Vinnie will be reaching out to each of our teammates soon to check in on your progress.